Lately I feel like one of the most frequently asked question I get is “Whats a new series I should start?” Which is an incredibly tough thing to answer. I say this because the shows that I am obsessed with, might not be of interest to you. And vise versa. Very rarely will I ask people about a good new tv series for that exact reason. Unless its a person whom I trust, and/or a good friend that knows my personality, chances are I have not seen the show you’ve been gabbing about.
That being said, I am going to give you my list of favorites. As a stay at home mom with no life once the boys go down, I am probably the best judge. 😂 The mysteries are so well written, that you can’t really go wrong with watching. Each one is perfect to start with your bae, because it will hold both of your interests. So take a risk. I highly recommend ALL OF THE FOLLOWING.
Sage Advice: Give each show AT LEAST 3 full episodes to get to know the characters before giving up. You’re welcome. 💁🏻♀️.
(My Favorites of all time)
- DEXTER • A man that works for the Miami metro police department as a forensic technician specializing in blood spatter analysis. He’s a good person who lives a secret double life as a vigilante serial killer. He hunts down murderers who have slipped through cracks of the justice system. The missing person list is adding up and not even his family members know who he really is. MY NUMBER 1 FAVE. 💕
- Bloodline – A dysfunctional family that runs a bed and breakfast together in the florida keys. Details have been dug up from their childhood when their deranged brother returns home to see the family. They find out why each family member is the way that they are and who is really to blame for how each sibling has turned out. Murder, drugs, deceit. So Good.
- Bates Motel – A story based off of the horror film “psycho” and a peak into Norman Bates youth and how he became a serial killer. Shows an over protective single mom who is in a very enmeshed codependent relationship with her son. It’s clever and dark and very addicting.
- Ray Donovan – A man from Boston who works for a powerful law firm in Los Angeles. Although his real job is working for the rich and famous as a fixer. If someone overdosed, cheated on their spouse or “accidentally” killed someone, he is the person called to make the problem dissapear. His father on the show is played by Jon Voight and it hooks you from episode 1.
- The Affair – A novelist from NYC with a wife of twenty years and four children, explores the emotional effects that an extramarital relationship has on his family. The woman he has the affair with is a young waitress and wife from Montauk, Long Island. Trying to piece her life back together after surviving a tragedy. The drama unfolds separately from multiple perspectives. Depending on which characters memory is telling the story, you’ll never know exactly what to believe.
- Scandal – When you get into trouble, there is only one person to call. Olivia Pope (played by Kerry Washington). She is a professional ‘fixer’ who makes problems go away before the rest of the world even knows they exist. For the powerful, wealthy and even the president. It’s a little exaggerated and sometimes her character drives me bonkers, but it is definitely worth watching because it is never boring and Shonda Rhimes is the creator.
- American Horror Story (Season 1) – Murder House – The show is an anthology, with each season taking place in a new setting. Which is amazing because you can pick and choose what seasons to watch. The first however, is my favorite. A family moves from Boston to LA to start a new life. They find a beautiful home and move in immediately, later finding out that it is extremely haunted and many people have died there. I definitely had to face my fears to watch this one. It gave me nightmares, but it was worth it!
- Nurse Jackie – Hospital show with dark twists. She’s an emergency room nurse addicted to pain medicine. I personally liked this series much more than Greys Anatomy.
- Masters of Sex Based in the 50’s and 60’s, a true story about the science behind human sexuality and the research collected that started off the sexual revolution. I wouldnt recommend watching with your mom, lol. But it has an amazing plot, cast and wardrobe. A Must see.
- Orange is the new Black- The story of a 30 year old girl named Piper, who is sentenced to 15 months in prison after being convicted of a decade old crime. (Helping her then drug dealing girlfriend transport money). Someone you would never imagine going to jail. Inappropriate but well written. First season was my favorite but it still was a really good series.
- Revenge – A girl who seeks revenge against a family who sets up her father to be falsely accused of murder. He is taken away from her when she is 8 years old and she’s placed into the foster system. Now that she’s an adult, she moves back to the Hamptons to find them and lives under a secret identity. As the story unfolds, she is determined to seek vengeance on the people whom destroyed her fathers life. (First two seasons were the best. Still DEFINITELY worth watching).
- Breaking Bad – A chemistry teacher who is diagnosed with lung cancer, wants to make his family financially stable. He secretly turns to a life of crime and teams up with a former student named Jesse Pinkman to make and distribute the purest form of crystal meth. (Slow start but grew on me a ton once I made it through episode 5. When I finished the series, I was sad it was over).
- House of Cards – A congressman (played by Kevin Spacey), works with his equally conniving wife to take revenge on the people who have betrayed him. I’m Not a political person, but the cast and acting was so amazing, I had to watch it all.
Light and Fluffy:
(Feel Good Shows)
- Modern Family (Start right now if you have never seen) – Shows an honest and hilarious perspective of family life. “Through the stories of a gay couple, comprised of Mitchell and Cameron, and their daughter Lily, a straight couple, comprised of Phil and Claire, and their three kids, Haley, Alex, and Luke, and a multicultural couple, which is comprised of Jay and Gloria, and their son Manny. These three types of families are being taped by a Dutch documentary crew who are using them for an upcoming reality-based television series due to air in The Netherlands”.
- This Is Us – Heart, Humor and a little mystery. Hard to describe without giving away too much of the show so watch the trailer and decide for yourself. I promise you wont regret starting and binge watching!
- Nashville – The series chronicles the lives of ficticious country artists based out of Nashville. A show you can watch with you spouse or family. It’s a good before bed series. I found it very relatable with all of the hardships of lifes many relationship struggles. Also, all of the actors have incredible voices.
- Hart Of Dixie – After following in her fathers footsteps, Zoe Hart graduates from medical school and becomes a cardio thoracic surgeon in New York. When her dreams fall apart, she accepts a job offer from a small practice doctor in a tiny town somewhere in Alabama. Watching a city girl adjust to small town life makes it cute. Starring Rachel Bilson, Tim Matheson and Jaime King.
- Young and Hungry – A young and wealthy entrepreneur hires a fiesty good looking food blogger to be his new personal chef. Very sitcom, but still made me happy watching an episode a night.
(These never fail to make me laugh out loud. I usually watch one of these on a particularly stressful or shitty day, where I just want to decompress without thinking).
- Broad City – Two Jewish girls who try to “make it” in New York City. Based off of the real life friends web series, and produced by Amy Poehler. You can’t not LOL while watching.
- Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt – The show follows a 29 year old named Kimmy. Adjusting to a new life in New York City, after her rescue from a doomsday cult in Indiana where she and 3 other women were held prisoner by a reverend for 15 years. She gains a job as a nanny to a miserable out of touch socialite (played by Jane Krakowski). Created by Tina Fey.
- Tosh.0 – Not a series, I know. But I couldn’t not list it since he’s one of my all time favorites. I’m not sure where he finds his you tube clips, but I can’t go two minutes into an episode without being offended and/or laughing.
- Workaholics- (Really silly but still makes me lol). Three friends who met in college, settle into their adult lives and decide to still life as roomates. Since they dropped out of school, they still maintain their party lifestyle while trying to hold a job at a telemarketing company. They often interact with their drug dealer and clash with their older coworkers. The show was co created and written by the three actors. Which makes it that much better they’re the ones who star in their own show.
- Chelsea Handler does Netflix – A provocative documentary series where the comedian confronts personal and cultural problems on 4 topics that interest her. A necessary watch.
Shows I plan to start eventually:
- Stranger Things
- The night of
- The Wire
- The sopranos
- Black Mirror
If you think that we have similar interests from my top favorites and there is a show I listed above that I should start first , please let me know. Even if you have another recommendation for me to start asap, I’m here. xx